Monday, July 14, 2008

Where Do We Go From Here?

TNT is done for the year. I hate that it has to end. For the past 5 1/2 months I've spent 3 times per week with the same people, doing the same thing I'm doing, for the same purpose(s). You get to know people when you do that. And then, before you know it, the race you're all training for is here, you race, you're done, and you say goodbye to everyone not really knowing yet who has become a potentially new lifelong friend or who was just there for a brief time.

This is my 3rd go-around with TNT. My first experience I did everything on my own and only got to know a couple of people briefly during the event weekend. That's the way I was back then, '97. In '06 I signed up for my 2nd stint and decided I was going to train with the group both for the social outlet as well as for the coaching I'd receive. It worked, I'm hooked.

From that '06 marathon team I now know I have some lifelong friends. We talk, we've cried, we've drank and believe it or not we still run together. I hope this 3rd time's the charm as well and I become that way with some from the triathlon team. I've had a lot of fun getting to know my teammates, athletically and socially. It sucks that it all ends with some once you pack up your bag on race day and head home.

No comments: