Monday, July 7, 2008

Toll Bridge

I think this week is going to be a doozie. It already has more packed into it than any I can recently remember with the potential for some more that is as far from pleasant as you can get.

What's already on the docket:

-There are some work deadlines. I have to get some reports out by Friday a.m. because I'm taking that afternoon off. We're in the beginnings of integrating a company we just bought into our system and way of doing things. That alone is bringing extra requests on top of the normal workload.

-This Saturday is our big triathlon so there's a "travel" meeting tomorrow evening to discuss last minute details, a final team workout on Wednesday, a pasta/carbo-load dinner on Thursday, packet pick-up sometime on Friday and a walk-thru at the race site on Friday evening and then wanting to be at the race around 5:30ish Saturday morn. The week will end nice though with our Victory Party Saturday night, at an Irish pub no doubt!

-It was Conner's bday this past weekend (he's 8), but we're not having his party until this Friday afternoon. 1 piece of cake shouldn't be too bad the day before a race, right?

-The winners of my hair decorating fundraiser have to do that yet. They're planning on doing a little bit each day. I got a 1 day reprieve today as they didn't pick up the hair coloring over the weekend. It sounds like it's going to start tomorrow though.

All of the above might be thrown out the window though if things turn for the worse on another front. Over the weekend my grandma (Dad's side) had a major stroke. She's in the hospital, still hanging on and somewhat responsive, but she was given her last rites and they're giving her "comfort remedies" I think is how my mom put it. Basically meaning they won't do anything extraordinary to try to "fix the ailment" (is how I'll put it), but just make her as comfortable as possible for what inevitably seems like her short time left.

I was never really as close to her as much as I thought or wished I would be. That's not for any particular reason, just the way it is. It's obviously tough losing any family member, and even grandparents whose "time has come" (please don't take that as sounding cold), but from a selfish standpoint, she's my last grandparent. I haven't talked to Dad yet, but talking with Mom they seem to be pretty accepting of it all.

I just got this picture back last week. This shot was from Conner's 1st Communion 2 months ago. That's Conner, Nan and Devon (l to r).


Depending on when she passes I might be missing the triathlon. I have a fairly good idea what my parents would say, but it would take a pretty good argument from them to get me to change my mind. It was a fairly quick and easy decision to make. It just came down to thinking that if I were to go to the funeral I'd admit my head and thoughts might drift to the race occasionally, but my heart would be with my family. If I go to the race, both my head and my heart would be with my family. No brainer after drawing that conclusion. There are other triathlons this summer and this particular one is run every year so I can always do it next year. You only get 1 chance to attend a funeral to honor and celebrate someone's life.

I'm getting ahead of the situation though, let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

We love you Nan!

No comments: