Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Week That It Was

I have a few things to catch up on during this post so we might be all over the board with some of this stuff. Buckle up and I hope you enjoy the ride!

My final post about my "hair experience". Here are some pictures of the end product:
This first one is the view from behind after the first successful coloring using temporary hair spray paint.
That coloring washed out the next morning in the shower so below is what they came up with for the final go-around and what I raced with. Yup, neon green with a pink star on the top.

I'm now bald by choice (as of shortly after the race) and I have to admit I kind of like it. I'll probably stay a cue ball for the summer and then let it grow back this fall/winter.

Last Wednesday was Nan's funeral. It was a nice service. Her grandsons were the pall bearers and I also had the honor of doing the readings for the service. Public speaking isn't my forte, but I didn't think twice when I was asked the night before.

The (my) kids were marvelous during the whole thing. I wasn't sure how they'd handle it, this being their first funeral they've been to. The boys went up to the casket with me, by choice, during the wake and were very respectful. I kept waiting for Devon to say something "honest", but he didn't. He usually says something only a kid would be allowed to get away with (go figure, he's a kid) in situations like that, but he passed on the opportunity. No nightmares since either so I think we're all clear. Most of the relatives haven't seen the kids lately either, so it was nice to catch up on that front as well.

This weekend was a pretty good one. 1 of my neighbors put together our 1st annual block party. I have to admit I'm kind of a hypocrite because I've always wished our neighborhood would do more together, but I've never taken the initiative. It was fun. Wandered right across the street about 2:00 and didn't come home until 11:00ish. Ate, drank, ate, played yard games, drank and ate a little more. Gonna have to do some double workouts for awhile to justify my intake from that night!

Today was a busy one outside (once we made it out there). The boys slept in!! Woo Hoo, that's always a weekend bonus. Devon did wake up about 8:00, but just came in to my room to ask if he could watch cartoons. Absolutely I said as I rolled over. He later came back to my room and crawled into bed with me and we both fell asleep until 10:30!

He's so cute and adorable. He sleeps with "Horsey", a stuffed animal horse (unique name, I know). A lot of the nights I kid him that I'm going to take it from him when I go to bed so I can sleep with it and he always so no, not to. Well, this morning (and this has happened before) when he crawled into bed with me he had 2 stuffed animals with him and gave me Horsey to sleep with. I just smiled at him and took it. Such a sharer!

Once we got outside for the day none of us went back in until dinner around 6:30! Gorgeous day. The boys wanted to play inside a couple of times, but I made them stay out. Get some fresh air and be active! Such a slave driver I am. They'd complain for 5 seconds after asking each time, but they kept finding things to do.

I finally got some landscaping done (1/2 done I guess, technically) - dug up some bushes in the front of my house that are/were dying. I didn't have any intention of doing that today, but after I mowed the yard I decided today was the day. It was something I've been putting off all season. It wasn't fun digging up the whole root ball, and I'm sure my back will be barking at me tomorrow, but it feels good to get that done. I say 1/2 done because now I have 3 holes in my yard that need to be filled with new plants or something. That might be tomorrow night's project.

And the final topic for tonight is one I've spent pondering since Tuesday at Nan's wake. 7 years ago my older sister opted to remove herself from our family, for reasons I won't go into here. I had seen and talked to her once, 4 years ago at Grandpa's funeral, until last week. I figured she'd probably come back for Nan's because Nan had always stayed in touch with Kristin as much as anyone could/did. It turns out Kristin came down Tuesday for the wake and stayed through Thursday with my parents. She made it known that she wants to reconcile things and started explaining herself and her actions these past years to them. I'm not too keen on the timing of it all and using this event to take those first steps back, but it is a first step.

I have to admit I'm hesitant about the whole thing. I had feelings of indifference when I first saw her. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. After 7 years of negative reasons for not seeing each other I wasn't sure what to think. Kayli vaguely remembers having an Aunt Kristin, Conner was too young to remember anything the last time he saw her and this is the first time she's seen Devon and he's 5 now!

We did part with a hug and her saying she'd like to get together to talk. I said I'd be willing so we'll see where it goes from here. I got a synopsis of the conversation Mom and Dad had with her. A couple of questions were answered, a few more raised. Hmm, I'll leave it at that. Only time will tell how this one's going to play out.

No comments: