Wednesday, July 23, 2008

So That's What E Coli Tastes Like

Just found out today that the lake/beach that I did my latest triathlon in is now closed due to an e. coli outbreak. That doesn't leave the best images in one's mind about what we were swimming and breathing in. All's well though, the outbreak came after the race. Rumor is someone tipped over a porta-potty or 2 at that lake and that "stuff" made it into the water. The Parks Dept. does a pretty good job with the recreational areas in my mind. They check the water quality every couple of days for situations like this and maintain the overall cleanliness of the beaches.

After a few emails back and forth with some training partners we found a suitable option for our open water swim workout tonight. This lake was pretty clean too for a metro lake, despite the first few steps through the weeds. I didn't think they were that bad, others (who shall remain nameless) did. This new spot could easily become the lake of choice, but it would help if it were closer. Is it possible to relocate a lake? Do you think they'd do that for me?

Despite my newfound affection for said lake, I'm currently sitting here in the middle of sneeze attack. One thing I've found out this year is that my lake allergies are back, from the algae, something that hasn't affected me in about 2o years. Pretty annoying. A couple of more good sneezes and my screen should be pretty much covered. Can't stop typing just to cover a sneeze! :)

Okay, that's it for tonight. Time to take some non-drowsy sinus pills that make me tired anyway.

Until the next outbreak...

No comments: