Monday, September 5, 2011

Somebody Please Tell Me How To Feel!

I'm all over the board emotionally. That might surprise many of you who may have thought up until this point that I don't have emotions, or don't emit them. Ah ha, I do!

My quandry is with the Ironman and what I'm feeling with just 6 days to go. I'm excited, nervous, eager, scared, confused, panicked, cocky, doubtful, apprehensive, chomping at the bit, you name it. About the only thing I am not is indifferent.

I think the most confusing thing is is that I haven't felt this way in a long time about an event I'm doing! That's because, up until now, all my events the past many years haven't been new to me. During my many moons, I've completed many triathlons, a dozen marathons and even some 24+ hr relay runs. Sure, the Ironman is "just" another triathlon (that's what I'm trying to tell myself), but it's not. Wait, did you just understand that last sentence? If you did, please explain it to me cuz I don't know if I understand it! Because this distance is new to me, I don't know how I'm going to do, what I'm going to think of it, what I'm going to think during it, or how I'm supposed to feel leading up to it. I've lost some control just because of the fact that this is new and I don't like losing control (it's a guy thing)! Sprints, Olys, marathons - I need to physically train for them, but my mental game doesn't need to come out until the morning of. I've physically trained for the IM and am ready in that regard, but this will be so much more mental than anything I've done previously. I only hope I have what it takes "between the ears" to get through it too.

Just have to survive this first one so I can learn the ropes. I'll let you know in 7 days.

No comments: