Saturday, September 3, 2011

Next Weekend

Wow, guess it's been awhile since I've been here again cuz when I logged in even my profile picture was gone! I guess Blogger thought I quit or died. Nope, just had to keep you all guessing again on when I would post.

Next weekend! Wow, that sounds weird to say. Up until now it was always 'weeks' or 'months' until IM. Not anymore! It's next weekend!! Today was even the final Saturday. Did my final long workout of the season today before race day - 3 hr ride w/ Tim, ~50 miles. From here on out the schedule calls for everything to be under an hour, with most of them only around 30 minutes. Gotta love tapering!! I'm not sure what to do with all the free time though. Suggestions?

This training season has been fun. I've already made the decision that I will do another Ironman someday, regardless of how this one goes. I've liked the structure all the training provides and having that kind of big goal out in front of me. Getting back into pretty good shape hasn't been a negative either. Even a guy likes to hear he's looking good and younger! I'll hopefully only take a year off from this distance and eye one for 2013. Focus on some 1/2 iron distance tris next year and a couple of more marathons. I'm sure my boys won't mind me being around a little more next year (at least I hope they don't).

There have been some pitfalls though. Well, maybe just 1. Hurt my back 3 weeks ago, in week 32 of 36, so the timing wasn't necessarily the best with that. Boneheaded move on my part thinking I should help move a piano just 4 weeks before the biggest athletic event of my life! Paid for it with some strained muscles which forced a longer taper period than I planned, but at this point it won't keep my from doing the event! Prior to this mishap I was starting to believe I could focus on setting a pretty decent time (for myself anyway) in this event. Now though, my main focus has just been on making sure I can finish (making sure I could even get to the start line!) and just try to go out and enjoy the whole day. I know the muscles won't be at 100% full strength so even if they feel okay I can't expect them to perform at max output.

Next weekend! Looking back, the past 35 weeks seem to have vanished in a snap. Can only wonder what the next 7 days will be like!

No comments: