Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Different Tiers of Happiness

I'm not sure I'll have time between now and when I leave so I thought I better write these down and make them known so I hold myself accountable for this upcoming little jaunt I have this weekend. These times might not mean much to you, but pay attention and read along and you might figure out why they mean more to me. For my marathon on Saturday, my different levels of happiness will depend on the time I get. In order from slowest to fastest they are:

4:14 or better (happy): this was my time in Fargo this past May. It would be nice to be able to improve upon this time after a full spring, summer and fall of training and racing.
4:08 or better (happier): this is my current PR set exactly 10 years ago as of this Saturday, on 11/01/98 on my 30th bday.
3:59:59 or better (even happier): if I'm going to beat 4:08 I might as well try to get under 4 hours, right?
3:58 or better (happiest): yes, Wade, you and your PR are still a small reason why I'm running and one I hope to beat someday so I can have bragging rights (it's a guy thing).

This isn't to say that if I bomb on Saturday all hope is lost. It's my birthday so I have to make the most of it. If I don't have a good run let's just hope there's a "water" stop along the way that has some barley and hops in it. I might have to stop for a pint or two and say Happy Birthday!

Marathon recap to follow early next week. Check back to see if it's about my running success or birthday success.

No comments: