Saturday, October 25, 2008

Boys' Night

Tonight was the night the kids and I look forward to a lot this time of year. We carved our pumpkins! We went to a farm outside of New Prague to pick out the perfect pumpkin for each of us. It's amazing how that farmer can grow my perfect orange sphere each following year after thinking I already had it the preceding year. Devon keeps saying his is the perfect one. Conner claims his is the perfect one. Boys, I've been doing this a lot longer than you have. Mine's the perfect one! :) Of course I tell them theirs are each the perfect ones, but secretly I know better. Shh, don't tell them though.

We started out by Daddy-o cutting the top off of each and every intention was for each person to scoop out the innards in their own pumpkin. That worked for about 2.5 seconds after I got done telling them that was the plan. Devon actually did attempt to. He scooped awhile with the spoon and then did stick his hand in there and yank some out after some coaxing and seeing me do it. Conner...not so much. He just sat there with his spoon daintily taking one or two seeds out at a time, making sure his hand didn't touch the sides or any of the stringy, hairy, slimy innards. After awhile I caved and helped him out. Maybe next year he'll be brave enough to touch it and do it himself.

Conner did get to man the knife all by himself this year though and he did a great job cutting his (pumpkin) face out. No blood anywhere! Devon drew what he wanted on his and then I cut it. Before I cut his though, I confirmed he wanted it cut exactly how it was drawn. It's not the most symmetrical faced pumpkin on the block, but I dare you to look at it and not chuckle. You should have no problem picking out which is whose. We all like them all!

Of course this activity isn't complete until the seeds are roasted so we got that taken care of too. I didn't even burn those this year so the 2008 Pumpkin Season was a success!!

Happy Haunting.

P.S. I know I'm taking a great chance in jinxing things here, but the weather looks perfect so far for the marathon next weekend!

No comments: