Tuesday, September 30, 2008

3 Little Einsteins, 1 Big....

The kids' conferences went well. Started out with Devon's yesterday and he's doing great in Kindergarten. Slightly ahead in pretty much every area of where they like to see their incoming students.

Kayli's was next today, but I missed that one as I couldn't find the school. Oops! I looked it up on mapquest yesterday and thought I knew where it was, but obviously didn't pay close enough attention to the details. Gonna have to go back and remap it before my next attempt to get there! Kayli had mentioned a couple of weeks ago that she was bored in math class because what they were teaching was stuff she had already gone over last year in 5th grade in New Prague. They're beyond refreshing and reviewing what the students learned last year and dusting off the cobwebs from summer and it's still pretty familiar to her so she's going to get bumped up into the accelerated math group! She's excited for that as am I. It's actually kind of ironic. She says that math isn't (wasn't) her favorite class and I remember struggling with her the last couple of years to get her homework done because she didn't understand it, but she continually brought home good test scores. I'm glad she spoke up and wants to be challenged rather than just coasting through the subject.

Conner's was shortly after Kayli's and in a different part of town (they're in different school buildings) so I just headed over there once I knew I'd be too late to try to find Kayli's. Conner's went well as well. Found out his 1 main weakness we were informed of last year in 2nd grade has carried over to 3rd grade and the new school - he's chatty! I think it's pretty safe to say he gets that from his mother's side. It may be affecting his test scores somewhat because apparently he sometimes misses the instructions because he's gabbing and doesn't test as high as he probably should. He got a good math grade, but not as high as we think he's capable of. It's not a major concern though and I'm sure his teacher will keep things in check. His teacher doesn't see any issues or concerns with his social life and fitting in (he voiced he wasn't making any friends and missed his old school) so that was our main concern. He remains a positive in the classroom and he's reading a ton! Just keep him reading and he won't talk. Problem solved!

Lindsay went back to being Lindsay today. She sent me a doozy of an email today that just got my goat. It started out very harmlessly with her asking about some dates/weekends we're switching the kids around and then suddenly took a drastic left turn out to nowhere. I wanted to chuck my monitor across the office when I read it! Thankfully we have a workout room at the office so I went and lifted some weights for about 15 minutes and that seemed to settle me down. After I had time to think about it I think what got to me the most was that I let what she said get to me. I'm a little upset at myself for that. It's been awhile since we haven't seen eye to eye on something and I forgot how she thinks and processes info. Once I remembered those factors I was able to let it slide a little easier. That's not to say I agree with her, just that she's going to think what she thinks because that's the way she is. She's caused enough of my hairs to go gray (those that she didn't cause to fall out), no more though dagnabit!!

No comments: