Monday, September 15, 2008

What A Difference A Week Makes

I mentioned last post that I was a bit puzzled about how I felt about the ironman and I think I've been able to clear things up within my simple little mind finally.

First and foremost, I was going there to watch and support my friends. On a personal level though, I was also hoping it would help motivate me in my own athletic endeavors. It didn't. Nor should it have.

What did motivate me was having a good week of running capped off by a 17 miler yesterday that, dare I say, felt easy (knocking on wood right now). During that 17 miles there was plenty of time to ponder and I came up with a theory. I think I am, or maybe have become, the type of person that has to experience something or what it takes to get there in order for it to really sink in and mean something to me.

I do want to do an IM someday, but not now. With not having put myself through the rigors of training for one or financially signing up for it, I don't have the personal connection and can't get motivated by it. I was trying to use the IM and compare that with my personal long-term goal of running a marathon in all 50 states. It's apples and oranges. I have run multiple marathons and am in the meat and potatoes portion of training for another so I know the feelings associated with and am still motivated by that. I haven't done the IM so I can't draw on that non-experience.

Make sense? If so, sit down for this shocker - I'm going to apply this same line of thinking to something outside of my athletic life and to my personal life! Can I blog about something non-sports related?! Let's find out.

Just last week I had multiple people, all of who have never asked about my romantic life, ask if I was dating anyone or what I wanted in that regard. Dating and remarriage for me is a cross between doing the ironman and another marathon. I do want to get remarried someday, but like the ironman, not now. I've gone through the highs of marriage and lows of divorce so I've experienced the whole gamut, and like the marathons, I want to do it again. Unlike the marathons, I don't want to do it 2 or 3 times per year though or in all 50 states!

Having the divorce behind me and as hard as it was, I know it was the right thing to do. I've experienced it and it motivates me to make sure it doesn't happen again. The next Mrs. Jon McCarthy is going to be lucky based on the fact that I learned my lessons.

Yesterday's run was a little different for me because it was so active mentally. Usually I try to shut down the brain and zone out and just run. I guess I had a few things to think about. I wonder what my 20 milers coming up are going to be like?!

No comments: