Thursday, August 7, 2008

I'm Weed and Insect Free

Had another good run tonight although there might be an issue a-brewin'. Gonna have to keep an eye on my shins, I think some splints are coming on. This happened earlier this year too around March when I was training for Fargo. I can't nail down what it's from though, the shoes or the training. I have right around 200 miles on my current pair of runners which is right around where I was with the previous pair when I got shin splints. BUT, in both cases I was ramping up my distances too. 200 miles is on the low end of how soon shoes wear down so I decided to run through the discomfort and get my money's worth out of the sneakers. The shin splints went away after a week or two and I ended up just under 500 miles with that pair before I bought my current pair. This time around I might buy another pair sooner and see how the shins react before drawing any conclusions. It would kinda suck if it's the shoes' fault because I really like these kind (Pearl Izumi), but it isn't reasonable to be forking out $100 every 200 miles.

Tonight's route was different than last night's. Wanted to keep it flatter to give the thighs some rest after last night and to do some speed work. I had a farmer unbeknownst to him help me out with the speed part. My first warmup mile was along the edge of town and then I turned left and headed out into the countryside. Nothing like long, straight, never-ending country roads to get you motivated to run (he said with a sarcastic tone)!

About a 1/2 mile down the road I came upon a soybean field and the farmer was out in his tractor spraying his crops. He timed it perfectly to end up as close to the road as he could get right as I was coming by. I'm sure it was planned, I'm sure he just sits and waits for runners to come by on August Thursday nights. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal since he would turn right around and weave his way back to the opposite end.

Nope, he didn't.

He took a 90 degree turn and headed in the same direction I was. Super, I thought, I get to suck pesticides for the length of the this field! Well, no better time to start my tempo runs so I picked it up a couple of notches and dusted that farmer while he dusted his crops! (I can talk like I'm fast when I'm running by myself)

I continued on my route out and only hoped he'd be done by the time I turned around and headed back. He was, but with it being such a gorgeous night there wasn't a breeze and the spray was still lingering in the air when I came by again! I would have to say it was worse coming through the 2nd time. I could taste and smell it with every inhale so I pulled my shirt up over my mouth and nose until I got beyond that field. I wonder if that's what it's like in Beijing? Well, at least I won't have weeds growing on me anytime soon.

Speaking of the Olympics, KARE 11 News (the Mpls NBC affiliate) sent Eric Perkins over there to cover them for the next 2 weeks. I love Perk, he's hilarious! Tonight's episode was about some of the food choices street vendors had. Kind of had a Fear Factor feel to it, not some things I would necessarily eat. I highly recommend tuning in to Perk's stories. On assignments like this he usually offers the not so obvious, off the hidden path type of stories that can help you get to know something/somewhere beyond the normal touristy things.

Speaking of NBC (don't you just love my segues?), is anyone watching America's Got Talent? Well, even if you're not, do this - one of the acts they put throught to the semi-finals had to drop out due to injury so they're letting the public vote for 1 act they previously cut to take their place. Vote for Victoria Jacobs (I think that's her name). She's a little, 12 yr old contortionist. The things those people can do to their bodies and the way they make them bend is next to unreal! I think it's the type of act that show needs, not some other dancers or singers. There are already other shows for those. Oh, and she's an adopted Chinese. Kinda ties all my stories together, doesn't it? :)

Speaking of other nationalities (I promise this is my last segue), the Irish Fair is this weekend in St. Paul. I'm embarrassed to say I've yet to go to it in all the previous years, but I have every intention of making it this year! I'm going to pick up my boys for the afternoon on Saturday and take them to it. I figure they just spent a week getting to know their Korean side, I better get them exposed to their other side before they want to move to Seoul. We'll go hang out with my brethren for a few hours, maybe the 3 of us will tip back a pint or two, do a jig, kiss the blarney. Should be fun.

-----------

And on a final note, the bathrooms got closed again today after being open only a couple of hours late yesterday and this morning. Apparently Roto only partially unclogged things and they got backed up again. Might be time to call in a real plumber. Know of a good one Jack?

No comments: