Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Roto Rooter To The Rescue!

I think I'm back! I had a pretty good run tonight and it's boosted the running spirits again. The last couple of weeks I have been running, but it's more been a matter of just going through the motions and going out because I knew I needed to, not because I wanted to. I almost talked myself out of not making it tonight, but I'm glad that didn't happen!

Tonight was a hill workout, not one of my favorite things to do. I started out with a mile warmup that was probably a little faster than what it should be for a warmup (at my speed anyway, definitely not compared to Ryan Hall (if you don't know who Ryan is watch the Olympics on the 24th)), but I was thinking "let's just get this workout over with". After the warmup I started with my hill repeats.

It's a good and convenient hill to run, it's the road that leads up to my neighborhood, about a 1/4 mile long with a decent grade. I ripped off the first 2 repeats like I knew what I was doing and started thinking this aint so bad. On my 2 mile recovery jog in between sets I was in a much better mood than when I started. It helped that it was an absolute perfect night weather-wise to be out doing exactly that. I was able to enjoy and appreciate the countryside. It became less of a workout and more of a calming evening outside.

A couple of years ago when I got back into running I abandoned all technology and just wanted to run for running's sake - don't care about splits, pace, total time, etc. Save that for the races I enter and the results breakdown. It would've been interesting to know what my pace was tonight though because my recovery runs were over before I knew it. In my mind I was cruising! Got back to the hill, did a few more repeats and then had every intent of making my last mile a cool down mile, but instead it turned into a practice of my finishing kick. I was running on a high at that point and wasn't going to slow down!

Tonight's run was one of those that makes you actually look forward to the next one! Good timing too because with my marathon just over 12 weeks away the long runs are going to get exactly that, long. I have to finalize my schedule, but I'm thinking I want to try to do 3 20-milers, 2 minimum. A couple of recent articles I've read on workouts suggest this might be exactly what I need to do, especially compared with how my last couple of marathons have gone. I'll give it a shot, gotta mix things up a bit, try new things.

----------------

Have you ever taken bathrooms for granted around your workplace? A lot of people in my building did up until today! At about 11:00 this morning all of our bathrooms were closed in the whole building due to a clog in a main sewer line somewhere. Apparently there were even a few geysers from some of the biffys. Could've been even funnier if the right people would've been standing by them at the time.

Well, this commode closure caused quite the disruption for some coworkers who were all in a tizzy about what to do. Some of them even seriously suggested #1, they should close the building and we should all go home and/or #2, they should immediately get some port-a-potties set up. Get real. There's a convenience store and 2 restaurants right across the street from our office, plus it's lunch time so go out for lunch. So you would have to travel a couple of extra minutes to get from your desk to the loo, deal with it and plan accordingly. Don't fret though, they had everything flushing again by 2:30.

Sorry about that, kind of a shitty story, huh? Sorry about that, an even worse pun!

Oh yeah, before I forget, the lobster and shrimp were delicious!

No comments: