Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mean Daddy Moment #1,793

Have you ever butted heads with a 5 year old? Have you always caved first? Yeah, me too. But not tonight! Nope! I stood my ground and stood tall for all us parents out there who eventually let our kids get their way.
Devon had a rough evening, and over something so trivial to an adult, but apparently life shattering to a kid. He didn't want to take a shower first tonight, but wanted Conner to. Yup, over that.
I told them both before supper that tonight was shower night and that Devon was going first. Sometimes they need to be told these things otherwise they'll argue between themselves. They were both fine with that, Devon even said okay. I actually even had my reasons for that order tonight, but I won't bore you with those (insignificant to you, Joe Reader, but valid here).
I slopped dinner on the table, we ate and then the fun began.
This is when he said he didn't want to go first. I said get in the shower. He started crying. I said get in the bathroom and get in the shower. He cried harder. Eventually he made it to the bathroom, but was still crying and fussing. After a couple of minutes and no sound of running water I went to the bathroom to check on him. He was just standing there crying, looking at himself in the mirror. He started crying harder and stomping his feet so I mimicked him. That didn't help the situation from his standpoint, but the game was on. He eventually got undressed with some stern warnings, but still wouldn't get in the shower. By this point, Dad's fun-quotient was used up so he had 1 more chance. Nope, he didn't take it so down to his bed he went (not willingly). Rounds 3 and 4 of who was going to get his way happened in the bedroom. After round 3 he knew he shouldn't get out of bed again, but that didn't stop the crying and screaming. Luckily it's the middle of winter so no one was walking by otherwise they might've thought Social Services should be called, I'm sure he could be heard through closed windows.
Suffice it to say, he eventually calmed down after about 20 minutes once he saw Conner was going to bed so he thought he better too.

As I'm tucking him in the conversation went something like this-
Me: Did you think Daddy was mean tonight?
Devon: (he nods)
M: I'm sorry for copying you in the bathroom. Who makes the rules in this house?
D: You do
M: Who follows the rules in this house?
D: Me and Conner
M: That's right, but I have to too. Sometimes you might not like the rules or think they're fair, but we still have to follow them, okay?
D: Okay
M: I love you and always love you even when I'm a mean daddy
D: I love you too

Tonight wasn't about who got to take a shower first. It was about the principle of doing what your told as a child, about standing your ground as an adult and not teaching your kids if they pout enough they'll eventually get their way. Parent first, friend second.

Anyone want to come down to my house and not follow my rules? I'll send you to your room!

1 comment:

Ms. R said...

Oh children and their brain damage!! Way to stand your ground JMac!

Fun times with brain damage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyMSc97UksM