Monday, May 16, 2011

This biking thing is getting better! Had my longest, and dare I say it, best, ride yesterday. I headed out to meet the twins, Karlene and Nicole, on the Liberty Tri course, a local 1/2 iron distance tri. The bike loop consists of a 28 mile route you do 2x. The first loop I kind of rode with them. Being a little stronger than them I was able to pull ahead on some segments, but then I'd stop and wait at each turn. The second loop I rode straight through, it was planned that way, and held a nice steady pace. Did I mention it was windy? Oh yeah, it was windy! Mostly a crosswind which I seriously had to adjust for and some wide open roads with a headwind that literally kept me from speeding up while going downhill. No lie. This course wasn't flat either, a lot of rolling hills with a couple of climbs I had to bust out the granny gear (for you non-bikers, the granny gear is the easiest gear). So, with the wind and the hills, being able to hold an 18 mph average over 50 miles, I'm pretty happy with that!

And because I just didn't get enough hills yesterday, I did more repeats on the ski hill by my office today for a short 45 minute ride! I'm going to own Bush Lake Rd by the time this training season is done. You're gonne be mine, Bitch!

No comments: