Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Fish That Got Away

So for a couple of weeks in April (maybe even dating back to late March?) I was doing most of my swimming in the evenings in New Hope. I soon noticed that around the same time, 7:00ish, on Mondays, Wednesdays (and 1 Friday when I was there) the same female would show up and also swim. Could tell she was possibly training for something or at least it was a serious workout (for her), not just casually swimming. She wasn’t the fastest, but knew what she was doing. I never really saw her without my goggles on, without her swim cap on, we never swam in lanes next to each other and never started/finished at the same time. It was hard to pinpoint her age, especially cuz she had a cap and goggles on. Anyhoo, the last time we were both there she did happen to end her workout first and get out of the pool and take off her cap. As (not-so-good) luck would have it I was at the other end of the pool, but had time to “rest” at the wall and flip my goggles up. From what I could tell she was in the right demographic ballpark and I liked what I saw. I’ll admit, the past couple of weeks I’ve purposely delayed some of my swims to happen in the evenings in hopes of seeing her again. I didn’t purposely do that yesterday by oversleeping, but I wasn’t all that disappointed when I realized what day it was and that maybe she would be there. Unfortunately, she wasn’t, and I haven’t seen her in 3-4 weeks now. I’m thinking I probably won’t again, especially with my training schedule getting longer I’ll need to be more diligent about getting there in the mornings.
So, it begs the question, how does one successfully go about asking someone out when you're at a health club? Too often, too many people, men & women, are in the club and you know they're there just see and be seen and it's quite pathetic at times. I've always had the mindset I'm going to the gym to workout, not hookup, and I'm going to assume most others have the same approach so I'm going to respect that. When someone does come around that catches my eye, am I then supposed to wait outside until they get done and stalk them to their car so I'm not a hypocrite? Kidding (sort of).

No comments: