Thursday, December 8, 2011

Not Tits for Tat

So, I'm 2 months into the whole internet dating thing. I've had a few dates, but nothing solid yet. A few more emails with others, but nothing that's moved beyond that. Some my decision, some theirs. The thing that's confusing me the most though is the lack of response when I contact someone. Now, I'm not saying the lady needs to drop what she's doing, write me a novel and hand deliver it, especially if she isn't interested, but to me it just seems like common courtesy to at least acknowledge that you received my wink/email. No response just seems mean. You're online dating, you know winks and emails are how people first connect. Not responding is akin to if you were physically face to face with someone, they tried to start a conversation with you or asked you out for a drink/date and you just stood there staring at them and then walked away without saying a word. Match even has a feature where you only have to click 1 button and they'll send a form letter email declining the invitation. How simple is that? If someone initiates contact with me, first, I'm flattered; second, if I'm interested I'm going to let them know sooner rather than later; third, if I'm not interested I'm still going to thank them for the interest, but let them know. They took the chance, stuck their neck out. The least I can do is say thanks, but no thanks and not leave them hanging there. That's just me though. I actually think more highly of those women who respond with a decline than I do of those who don't respond at all. I'd be interested in hearing why women don't respond. Is there a good reason why? I'm not going to cyberstalk you or try to talk you into rethinking your position.
Okay, enough of that rant.
The one lady I saw multiple times started out great. We saw each other on a Saturday night, found out both our birthdays were coming up that following week so we took each other out for birthday lunches and were both genuinely interested in seeing each other again. 3 dates in 6 days with interest for more! Things are looking promising, right?! Well, it turned out I had my hunting weekend, then came home and had a couple of social functions (non-dates), scouts and watched the kids on one of my non-scheduled nights and she didn't take too kindly to me only providing her with 1 night to see each other in a 2 week period. She actually said she felt "insulted" and accused me of seeing multiple women! I laughed at that (it was in an email, not to her face)! In her defense, she doesn't have kids so she probably isn't the most tuned in to the schedule of a single parent. I can't stop being a parent just to appease someone I'm first getting to know. Maybe if/when a relationship starts getting serious I'll be more inclined to accommodate schedule changes, but not within the first week lady! It was good to find that out early I guess, save some headache later!
On to the next, whenever that may be. I'm keeping my parameters somewhat strict. I don't want to date just to date. There actually is a long-term purpose behind this courtship thing so I want to reel in a keeper. Just gotta keep casting.

My exercise year is finally winding down. I'm heading out in the morning to Alabama to run the Rocket City Marathon! This will be state #11. When I picked this one out and signed up back in October I was pretty excited. I have to admit now though, I'm actually more looking forward to it being over and just getting home than I am about traveling and doing another marathon. Usually I get pretty excited about them. I've spent the whole year training though and I need the mental break more than anything, more than physically even. I just need to step back and not be dictated by my workout schedule. It'll be nice to not worry about that for a few weeks. I'm not retiring by any means, just will enjoy the off season.
With that said, I'm not going to lolly gag my way through this one just to get it over with. I'm actually hoping to do well and I'll be disappointed if I don't PR and break 4hrs. I haven't done that yet. All the training this year will hopefully pay off this one last time and I'll be able to enjoy the off season that much more.

With that said, logging off so I can throw everything in my bag and get to bed. My chauffeur is gonna be here (not quite) bright and early to take me to the airport. Good night and let's hope AL becomes my new favorite state!

No comments: